BOR Student Health Insurance Plans
2016-2017 Student Health Insurance
For those students that need health insurance coverage, GS is proud to offer the University System of Georgia (USG) Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) underwritten by United Health Care. This plan includes comprehensive covered benefits that meet the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) mandates at the 80/20 coverage Gold Level. Click here for more information.
The Fall Only Open Enrollment and Waiver period begins July 11, 2016 and ends on September 18, 2016.
The Core Plan benefits apply to enrollment in a Mandatory Plan for selected student categories described below and a Voluntary Plan with optional participation for all other students.
Mandatory/Waiver Core Plan: Students subject to the BOR insurance requirement.
- All graduate students receiving a Full Tuition Waiver as part of their graduate assistantship award as determined by Georgia Southern University.
- All undergraduate, graduate and ESL international students holding “F” or “J” visa status.
- All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance as determined by Georgia Southern University. (i.e., Nursing Students formally admitted into the Nursing Program and Athletic Training Program Students)
- All graduate students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition as determined by Georgia Southern University.
Each semester period (fall and spring/summer) you are required to either enroll in, or waive out of, the USG SHIP through the United Healthcare-Student Resources Georgia Southern MyAccount online program. This program is available on this link.
Voluntary/Optional Core Plan:
The enrollment period for Fall and the Annual Plan ends on August 31, 2016.
- All students not subject to the BOR insurance mandatory requirement
- All students enrolled in at least 4 credit hours
Students can enroll in the USG SHIP for the entire academic year (August 1, 2016 through July 31, 2017) or on a semester basis (Fall and Spring/Summer) through the United Healthcare-Student Resources Georgia Southern MyAccount online program. This program is available on the following website www.uhcsr.com/georgiasouthern. Click on Enroll Now in the Pink Box.
Complete information about SHIP premiums is listed below:
Premium for Mandatory/Waiver and Voluntary/Optional Plans
All Age Groups Annual Premium Fall Premium Spring/Summer Premium
|Students + Spouse||$4,152||$1740||$2,412|
|Student + One Child||$4,152||$1740||$2,412|
|Student + All Children||$6,228||$2,610||$3,618|
|Student + Spouse + All Children||$8,304||$3,480||$4,824|
Coverage and Benefits
The Core Plan provides comprehensive coverage for Georgia Southern students that meet the requirements of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) mandates at the 80/20 coverage Gold Level. This includes wellness/preventive care benefits, elimination of pre-existing conditions, expansion of policy year maximum benefits, and elimination of coverage limits for certain covered services including pharmacy, physician visits, and essential durable medical equipment. Covered benefits include:
- Accident and sickness coverage, including diagnosis and/or treatment of illness, injury, or medical conditions. Benefits include physician, hospital, surgical, pharmacy, legally mandated benefits inclusive of PPACA “recommended preventative services” (e.g., prophylactic vaccines @100% with no co-payment or deductible), and behavioral health (mental health/substance abuse) services.
- 80% for in-network; 60% for out-of-network coverage
- No Maximum annual limits
- Maximum annual out-of-pocket (stop-loss) for in-network/preferred providers of $6,350 per insured student
- Maximum annual out-of-pocket (stop-loss) for out-of-network providers of $10,500 per insured student
- Maximum annual deductible for in-network/preferred providers of $500 per insured student
- The Deductible will be waived when treatment is rendered at the University Health Center. Balance billing will not apply towards satisfying the Policy Deductible.
- Pharmacy/Prescription drug benefit —
- 100% after $25 copayment for generic prescription medication per 30-day supply
- $50 copayment for preferred brand name prescription medication per 30-day supply
- $75 copayment for non-preferred brand name. In-Network Coverage Only.
- No copayment for prescriptions filled at the Health Center Pharmacy.
- Unlimited medical repatriation and medical evacuation benefits in support of international and domestic travel.
- After hour nurse call service and after hour mental health hotline/call service at no additional cost for insured students and family members.
The USG SHIP provides a strong, well established United Healthcare ChoicePlus managed care provider network, with a very large presence in Georgia and a strong focus on negotiated fees schedules. This network includes over 5,158 hospitals, 60,500 pharmacies and 659,900 physicians with a large number of network providers among this national base in the Statesboro area.
The USG SHIP 2016-2017 service offering continues to include a United Healthcare –Student Resources MyAccount online program for students to enroll or waive out of the USG SHIP and access information about their insurance coverage on a 24/7/365 basis. This includes the ability to print an ID card or request a replacement ID card, check claims status, update personal information, contact United Healthcare-Student Resources with a question or comment, look up a network provider, and review plan coverage benefits.
A detailed USG SHIP brochure for Georgia Southern University, as well as information on how to access, create and begin using the Georgia Southern United Healthcare-Student Resources online program can be accessed at the following Georgia Southern United Healthcare-Student Resources webpage: https://www.uhcsr.com/georgiasouthern
For more information on the voluntary dental plan click here.
|Dental Voluntary Plan||Annual Premium|
|Student + Spouse||$414.24|
|Student + Child(ren)||$507.83|
|Student + Family||$758.34|
For more information on the voluntary vision plan click here.
|Vision Voluntary Plan||Annual Premium|
|Student + Spouse||$229.83|
|Student + Child(ren)||$269.54|
|Student + Family||$379.09|
Insurance Information Resources
Last updated: 1/27/2017