USG Student Health Insurance Plans
The University System of Georgia/Board of Regents student health insurance program is administered by United Healthcare Student Resources with a network of over 5,158 hospitals, 60,500 pharmacies and 659,900 physicians and worldwide coverage.
The medical plan includes diagnosis and treatment of illness, injury, or medical conditions, along with preventive care benefits. Benefits include physician, hospital, surgical, pharmacy, mental health, substance abuse as well as legally-mandated benefits.
Other plans available include vision care, dental care and global emergency services.
Plan brochures, benefits and premium rates can be accessed at https://www.uhcsr.com/georgiasouthern.
**It is important to read your policy brochure for information about the use of Georgia Southern Health Services for medical care. A referral from Health Services is required to see outside providers. Expenses incurred for medical treatment rendered outside of Georgia Southern Health Services without prior approval or referral will not be covered by the plan.
A referral or prior approval from Georgia Southern Health Services is not required for the following:
- Medical Emergency. However, the student must receive follow-up care at Georgia Southern Health Services unless one of the circumstances below applies.
- When the Student Health Center is closed
- Medical care received when the student is more than 30 miles from campus
- Medical care obtained when a student is not eligible to receive care at Georgia Southern Health Services
- Maternity, obstetrical and gynecological care
- Dermatological services. Dermatological services mean services ordinarily and customarily rendered by a physician specializing in the practice of dermatology
- Mental illness treatment and substance use disorder treatment
- Spouses and children
USG SHIP Annual Premiums
|2019 – 2020||2020 – 2021|
|2019 – 2020||2020 – 2021|
Mandatory Medical Plan
Specific groups of Georgia Southern students are required to have health insurance. After registering for classes, the premium charge for the Student Health Insurance Plan will automatically be placed on the student account for these groups:
- All graduate students receiving a Full Tuition Waiver as part of their graduate assistantship award as determined by Georgia Southern University.
- All undergraduate, graduate and ESL international students holding “F1” or “J1” visa status.
- All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance as determined by Georgia Southern University. This includes Nursing (not Pre- Nursing) and Athletic Training.
- All graduate students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition as determined by Georgia Southern University.
Each semester period (fall and spring/summer) students are required to either enroll in or have an approved waiver. Once you have registered for classes, the premium will appear on your student account.
To enroll for coverage: If you do not have other health insurance coverage and want to enroll, wait 3 business days after the charge appears on your account. Then click here to enroll in the plan. Spouses and dependents are eligible for enrollment as well. Coverage under this plan cannot be prorated or terminated early. After enrollment, this system provides the ability to print an ID card, check claims status, update personal information, look up a network provider and contact information for any questions. The deadline to enroll for coverage for Summer Semester 2021 is June 18, 2021.
To waive coverage: If you have other acceptable health insurance coverage and want to apply for a waiver of the premiums, click here for instructions on waiver applications. The deadline to waive coverage for Summer Semester is June 18, 2021.
Voluntary Medical Plan
All DOMESTIC students enrolled in 6 or more credits per term, or participating in Cooperative Education Programs and are enrolled in a degree- seeking program, OR all DOMESTIC Graduate and Professional students enrolled in a minimum of 3 credits and enrolled in a degree-seeking program are eligible to enroll in this plan. Spouses and dependents of eligible students can enroll as well.
Students can enroll for the entire academic year (August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021) or on a semester basis (Fall and Spring/Summer) through the online system.
For enrollment, plan premium rates, brochure and benefits go to https://www.uhcsr.com/georgiasouthern and select the appropriate plan. Enrollment is currently Closed.
- Voluntary dental plan coverage, premiums and enrollment click here.
- Voluntary vision plan coverage, premiums and enrollment click here.
- Voluntary Accident &Injury, premiums and enrollment click here.
- Global emergency services coverage, premiums and enrollment click here.
Please the link above for more information regarding United Healthcare Telehealth information.
COVID-19 PGH Health Resources Information
As an enrolled student in the PGH Global student medical plan with United Healthcare StudentResources, we would like to make you aware of important information regarding the Coronavirus as noted below.
As more cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) appear in the U.S., we are taking every precaution to ensure our students and partners remain healthy and informed. Since our last communication, we have posted new information on our site to help support any members affected by this outbreak. This information is available for download through our PGH Student website or via the links below.
The links below contain new information on COVID-19, including ways to prevent its spread, what symptoms to look for, links to the CDC website, and more.
Coronavirus Update March 10, 2020 – UPDATE
Doctors are making house calls again! Included with your student insurance plan, and provided by HealthiestYou, is 24/7/365 access to board-certified physicians online or on the phone (where permitted).
Telehealth can be a win/win:
· Talk to a licensed physician 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
· Pay no consultation fee for student’s on the PGH Global Insurance plan
· Avoid trips to the doctor’s office, urgent care or emergency room
· Toll free # is on your SR ID card or in My Account
Create your My Account today!
With My Account you’ll have immediate access to view and print your ID cards and access to your claim history, including Explanation of Benefits (EOBs).
Should you have additional questions about your medical coverage please visit www.pghstudent.com or call 1-888–251-6253.
For frequently asked questions and answers click here.
Questions concerning plan benefits or claims should be directed to United Healthcare Student Resources customer service at 866-403-8267.
For other questions or assistance please email us at email@example.com. A representative will contact you within 2 business days.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding billing or insurance please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a staff member will respond within one to three business days.
Last updated: 3/25/2021