USG Student Health Insurance Plans
The University System of Georgia/Board of Regents student health insurance program is administered by United Healthcare Student Resources with a network of over 5,158 hospitals, 60,500 pharmacies and 659,900 physicians and worldwide coverage.
The medical plan includes diagnosis and treatment of illness, injury, or medical conditions, along with preventive care benefits. Benefits include physician, hospital, surgical, pharmacy, mental health, substance abuse as well as legally-mandated benefits.
Other plans available include vison care, dental care and global emergency services.
Plan brochures, benefits and premium rates can be accessed at https://www.uhcsr.com/georgiasouthern.
**It is important to read your policy brochure for information about the use of GSU Health Services for medical care. A referral from Health Services is required to see outside providers. Expenses incurred for medical treatment rendered outside of GSU Health Services without a prior approval or referral will not be covered by the plan.
A referral or prior approval from GSU Health Services is not required for the following:
- Medical Emergency. However, the student must receive follow-up care at GSU Health Services unless one of the circumstances below applies.
- When the Student Health Center is closed
- Medical care received when the student is more than 30 miles from campus
- Medical care obtained when a student is not eligible to receive care at GSU Health Services
- Maternity, obstetrical and gynecological care
- Dermatological services. Dermatological services means services ordinarily and customarily rendered by a physician specializing in the practice of dermatology
- Mental illness treatment and substance use disorder treatment
- Spouses and children
Mandatory Medical Plan
Specific groups of GSU students are required to have health insurance. After registering for classes, the premium charge for the Student Health Insurance Plan will automatically be placed on the student account for these groups:
- All graduate students receiving a Full Tuition Waiver as part of their graduate assistantship award as determined by Georgia Southern University.
- All undergraduate, graduate and ESL international students holding “F” or “J” visa status.
- All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance as determined by Georgia Southern University. This includes Nursing (not Pre- Nursing) and Athletic Training.
- All graduate students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition as determined by Georgia Southern University.
Each semester period (fall and spring/summer) students are required to either enroll in, or have an approved waiver. Once you have registered for classes, the premium will be appear on your student account.
To enroll for coverage: If you do not have other health insurance coverage and want to enroll, wait 3 business days after the charge appears on your account. Then click here to enroll in the plan. Spouses and dependents are eligible for enrollment as well. Coverage under this plan cannot be prorated or terminated early. After enrollment, this system provides the ability to print an ID card, check claims status, update personal information, look up a network provider and contact information for any questions. The deadline to enroll for coverage for Fall Semester 2019 is September 27, 2019.
To waive coverage: If you have other acceptable health insurance coverage and want to apply for a waiver of the premiums, click here for instructions on waiver applications. The deadline to waive coverage for Fall Semester 2019 is September 27, 2019.
Voluntary Medical Plan
All DOMESTIC students enrolled in 6 or more credits per term, or participating in Cooperative Education Programs and are enrolled in a degree- seeking program; OR all DOMESTIC Graduate and Professional students enrolled in a minimum of 3 credits and enrolled in a degree-seeking program are eligible to enroll in this plan. Spouses and dependents of eligible students can enroll as well.
Students can enroll for the entire academic year (August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2020) or on a semester basis (Fall and Spring/Summer) through the online system.
For enrollment, plan premium rates, brochure and benefits go to https://www.uhcsr.com/georgiasouthern and select the appropriate plan. The deadline to enroll for coverage for Fall Semester is August 31, 2019.
- Voluntary dental plan coverage, premiums and enrollment click here.
- Voluntary vision plan coverage, premiums and enrollment click here.
- Voluntary Accident &Injury, premiums and enrollment click here.
- Global emergency services coverage, premiums and enrollment click here.
For frequently asked questions and answers click here.
Questions concerning plan benefits or claims should be directed to United Healthcare Student Resources customer service at 866-403-8267.
For other questions or assistance please email us at email@example.com. A representative will contact you within 2 business days.
Last updated: 8/30/2019