The Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia has established immunization requirements for all new students (first-year, transfers, and others) as directed by policy consistent with recommendations provided by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, developed collaboratively by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia and the Division of Public Health of the Georgia Department of Human Resources.
It is the policy of the Georgia Southern University’s Health Services to comply with the mandatory immunization program established by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. These requirements include documented proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis and hepatitis B, prior to registration at any college or university within the University System. Please click here for additional information from the Board of Regents.
- 2 MMR Vaccines (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
- 2 Varicella Vaccines or history of the chickenpox disease
- 1 Tdap Vaccine
- 3 Hepatitis B Vaccines (18 years and under)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I submit my immunization records?
- After you have registered for classes, go to my.georgiasouthern.edu and select Eagle OSH. Click on the “Forms” tab and you will see 2 questionnaires (Tuberculosis Screening and Medical History) that must be completed on-line.
- Print the Certificate of Immunization and have the form completed and signed by your healthcare provider only if you are an out-of-state student, international student or you are claiming an exemption* listed below. (If you are a Georgia resident and have received the required vaccines from a healthcare provider in Georgia, you do not have to submit the Certificate of Immunization form to us. Once you have registered for classes, your immunization records are sent to us electronically from the Georgia Registry of Immunizations. If the record does not meet the immunization requirements, we will notify you by email.)
- Once your immunization record has been completed, go to my.georgiasouthern.edu, select Eagle OSH. Click on Uploads to upload your immunization record.
- If you fail to meet these requirements, a hold will be placed on your student account that will prevent registration for classes.
- All forms must be completed in English.
- Foreign language reports WILL NOT be accepted as well as handwritten lab results.
- Dates of immunizations or titers with results are required.
Are there exemptions from immunization requirements?
Yes, exemptions are provided based on the following:
- Religious Objection
- Medical Reasons *Requires Physician’s certification (documentation required)
- Students enrolled in on-line courses only
If I have an approved waiver, what happens if there is a communicable disease outbreak on campus?
During a public health event such as an epidemic, the University President is authorized, in conjunction with the Chancellor and appropriate health authorities, to put rules and regulations in place regarding diseases against which immunizations may be required.
Any individual who cannot show proof of immunity or adequate immunization and refuses to or cannot be immunized shall be excluded from any institution or facility of the University System until valid evidence is produced that they are immunized against the disease or the epidemic threat no longer constitutes a significant public health danger (BOR Minutes 1989-90, p.406).
In the event of a disease outbreak, these students may be excluded from any institution or facility of the University System until such time as they present valid evidence that they are immunized against the disease, have had the disease and recovered, or the epidemic or threat no longer constitutes a significant public health danger.
Why do I have to submit immunization records?
The Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia has established immunization requirements for all new students. As a part of the USG system, all Georgia Southern University students are required to comply with these requirements.
What documentation do I submit to meet the immunization requirements?
- Georgia Residents: If you are a Georgia resident and have received the required vaccines from a healthcare provider in Georgia, you do not have to submit your immunization records to us. Once you have registered for classes, your records are sent to us electronically from the Georgia Registry of Immunizations.
- Out of State or International Students: Print out the Certificate of Immunization and have your medical provider complete the form. All forms must be submitted in English. If you have immunization records from a medical provider, health department or other school, you are not required to complete the Certificate of Immunization form.
What other information (other than immunization records) do I have to submit to be compliant with the university requirements?
- ALL STUDENTS, except students taking on-line course only, are required to complete the TB Screening and Medical History forms by going to my.georgiasouthern.edu and click on Eagle OSH (Health Center Online). Log in and go to the “forms” tab to complete these forms.
When should I submit my immunization records?
All immunization records as well as the TB Screening and Medical History forms should be submitted after registering for classes and before classes begin.
Do you accept immunization records from any medical provider or other school instead of having to complete the Certificate of Immunization form?
Do I have to submit my immunization records if I am present or past military?
Do I have to submit my immunization records if I am a TAP student?
What happens once I submit my records?
Records are reviewed for compliance in the order in which they are received. You should receive an email within 2 business days indicating that you are compliant or remain non-compliant and what may still be missing. You may also go to Eagle OSH to access your immunization records to view your status.
It has been more than 2 business days since I sent my immunization records and I still have a hold. What should I do?
Go to my.georgiasouthern.edu and click on eagle OSH (Health Center online). Click on the “Immunizations” tab to view your history. This will provide you with information on any missing requirements. If you have met all of the requirements and still have a hold, email us at email@example.com for assistance.
What if I know that I had the vaccines or disease, but I am unable to locate my records?
You will be required to have a titer drawn (lab test) to verify immunity. The lab results must be submitted to us for review. If the titer does not indicate immunity, you will be required to have the vaccines and provide proof of administration. All lab results must be in English.
Do I need to have a TB test?
- Testing is indicated by the answers you submit on the TB Screening form. Once you submit your form it will be reviewed, and you will be notified via your Georgia Southern Email if further testing is needed.
- TB testing is required for certain health science programs.
What happens if I am not compliant with these requirements?
Anyone that hasn’t submitted all required records and forms within 30 days of registration will have a hold placed on their account and will not be able to register for any future classes until the required documentation has been received. The student may also be restricted from access to other university services.
Last updated: 3/31/2023