Resident Advisor Selection Process
Our Resident Advisor process begins September 1, 2021. Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis until March 2022. Resident Advisor positions will be offered in waves to accommodate the Department’s staffing need. Please see our timeline for the selection process below:
- September 1, 2021 – RA Application Open and Available
- Multiple Dates – RA Information Session via Zoom
- Candidates must attend 1 session listed below in order to receive the departmental supplemental application
- After attending an Information Session, all candidates must complete a University Housing Supplemental Application. Once your supplemental application is submitted you will be notified to schedule a 1-hour interview Due to staff availability these interviews will be virtual
- October 18-26, 2021 – 1st wave of interviews held
- November 2 – 6, 2021 – 2nd wave of interviews held
- November 19, 2021 – 1st wave of hired candidates notified via email for the 2022-2023 academic year
- November 30, 2021 by 12:00 Noon – Deadline to accept or decline the RA position if offered
- February 14 – 18, 2022 – 3rd wave of interviews held
- March 4, 2022 – 2nd wave of hired candidates notified via email for the 2022-2023 academic year
In order for a candidate to successfully complete their application, they must complete the three following tasks:
1. Complete a Human Resources Application
Armstrong Campus Resident Advisor Employment Application
(Armstrong does not currently have any position openings)
2. Attend 1 Resident Advisor Information session. Dates of all information sessions can be found at the linked form below to register. Candidates must be registered for a session no later than 1 day before the session begins.
3. Complete the Supplemental Resident Advisor Application (you will be sent the link after you attend an information session).
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line “RA Recruitment – Last Name, First Name.
A candidate must meet the following qualifications in order to be reviewed for hire for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Registered as a full-time student (12 hours undergraduate; 6 hours graduate) at Georgia Southern University for Fall 2021
- Have lived on campus at least two semesters by the start of employment at Georgia Southern University or at a prior institution, been a Resident Advisor at another institution, or have had significant leadership experience/role at Georgia Southern University or a prior institution
- A 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA). You must maintain a 2.25 Term GPA and a 2.5 cumulative GPA if offered a position
- A clear student conduct record before and throughout hire
- Ability to work in a diverse environment and sensitive to students’ growth and development in the university and residence hall setting
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
RESIDENT ADVISOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Interested candidates are encouraged to review a copy of the 2021-2022 Employment Agreement which details full expectations of the Resident Advisor position. The most up to date version will be provided to new Resident Advisor candidates once they have been extended offers.
RESIDENTIAL LEARNING COMMUNITIES
In addition to our traditional residence hall communities, we also offer candidates the option of being involved in a Residential Learning Community. These Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) and Theme Communities (TCs) are a way for residents to live with others who have similar majors, interests, or identities. For more information regarding each community and requirements for applicants to be considered for each community, please refer to the website below:
PREPARING FOR A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION AND INTERVIEW
We encourage all applicants to utilize the resources of the the Office of Career and Professional Development. Applicants will be best prepared by reviewing the interviewing tips and sample questions on the website, scheduling a practice interview, and requesting an resume critique from the office. All of these can be accessed at the link below:
Last updated: 9/13/2021