Life In “The Boro”
Life in “The Boro”
Statesboro is the county seat of Bulloch County, GA and is home to all major municipal offices for the county. Statesboro proper includes a downtown with government offices and area businesses, a newer and ever expanding retail strip along US Highway 301, and a range of residential communities. Beyond Highway 301, which serves as an unofficial boundary, you’ll find a more rural and agricultural area. There are many local shops and restaurants for you to find along the highways leading to Augusta, Pooler, Savannah, and the numerous coastal destinations close by. Statesboro is also able to meet your needs with a variety of shop and restaurant chains including Walmart, TJMaxx, Hobby Lobby, Applebees, Buffalo Wild Wings, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, Chicken Salad Chick, Shane’s Rib Shack, Mellow Mushroom, Olive Garden, Chili’s Grill & Bar, Cracker Barrel, Sonic, Surcheros Fresh Mex, Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, and more. Statesboro is also the home of the original Zaxby’s.
Things to Do
Georgia Southern Attractions
- Georgia Southern University Planetarium Enjoy a solar observation free of charge at Georgia Southern University Planetarium. The department of Physics and Astronomy offers full-dome presentations available for Georgia Southern University students, public/private/home school groups and adults by reservation only on weekdays.
- Georgia Southern Wildlife Center: Free to all GS faculty, staff, and students, the Wildlife Center is a great opportunity to meet our mascot, Freedom, and other creatures including other birds of prey, alligators, snakes, and turtles.
- Shooting Sports Become a member of the Shooting Sports Education Center(SSEC) which includes the firearm range and archery center are offered on campus. Rates vary depending on your classification (i.e. student, public, senior, military, etc.)
Local Statesboro Attractions
- Main Street Farmer’s Market – Find local vendors of produce, eggs, poultry, meat, and kettle corn at the weekly Farmer’s Market. This market is hosted every Saturday from April to October from 9AM-12:30PM in the Sea Island Bank Lot Main Street.
- Eagle Creek Brewery – One of our favorite hangouts, Eagle Creek Brewery offers live music and retro board games that keep us entertained for hours. For $10 you can receive a glass and tickets to sample 6 full size glasses of Eagle Creeks flavors. Also available is the on-site brewed root beer or canned sodas. The brewery is open each Friday and Saturday night from 6-9PM.
- AMC Statesboro 12 – Our local movie theater offers “Mugs & Movies” where you can order from the theater’s restaurant.
- Splash in the Boro – Located within Mill Creek Park, this small waterpark offers a chance to cool down in the South Georgia heat.
- Averritt Art Center – Located in downtown Statesboro, this beautiful performance space is the place to see local ensembles as well as occasional traveling shows. The Averritt Center also offers a variety of performing and visual arts classes throughout the year. On Campus, the Performing Arts Center is another place to see shows and performances.
- S & S Greenway – (& Other Walkways and Trails): With 2.75 miles of paved trail this is a great spot for walkers and runners alike. Enjoy a mix of walking through trees, under Veteran’s Express and its surrounding shops, and eventually into farmland. The trail head is located on Gentilly Rd.
- Mill Creek Park – With multiple sports fields, several playgrounds, walking paths, and a track, anyone can find something for them here. Mill Creek Park has free admission and parking.
- The Clubhouse – This amusement venue has all sorts fun with a mini-golf course, a driving range, batting cages, go karts, bowling, and arcade games.
Major Community Events
- Statesboro Fair: Held each October, the Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair is full of fun rides, great food, and fun entertainment. Student night, where a Georgia Southern ID gets you in free, provides a great opportunity for staff bonding!
- F1rst Fridays: Something fun for everyone! One the F1rst Friday of every month, Statesboro Downtown invites the community to enjoy the sights and sounds, businesses, and green spaces of our beautiful town center. Events include Taste of Downtown, a Downtown Picnic, Scare on the Square, and more!
- Statesboro Kiwanis Rodeo: Held each April at the fairgrounds, it’s a chance to experience a professional RODEO close to home!
- Georgia Southern Football: Games: With a championship legacy and a community full of Eagle pride, Georgia Southern Football Games are a must attend. Paulson Stadium, the Prettiest Little Stadium in America, is home to a great environment. Be sure to attend Day One to learn Georgia Southern’s cheers and traditions.
- Firecracker Fest: The celebration at Mill Creek Park like no others! Enjoy a day with friends and family as we celebrate our nation’s birth with live music, inflatables, kids activities, demonstrations, and of course, a large fireworks show to top it off!
- Approximately an hour drive from Statesboro, the beautiful and historic city of Savannah has tons to offer. Here you have your choice of local and delicious restaurants and exciting nightlife. River Street and the City Market are must visit spots. Savannah has a wealth of shopping with several malls and nearly every major store you might need.
- The nearest major beach to Georgia Southern, Tybee Island is a scenic spot to spend a day or a whole weekend. Located approximately an hour and 15 minutes from Statesboro, Tybee Island has five miles of public beach and numerous resorts. To relax, you might find yourself enjoying the surf and the sand or biking, walking, or paddling out on the water.
- A major vacation destination, Hilton Head is an hour and a half away. With over 12 miles of public beaches, 250 restaurants, and 24 championship golf courses, Hilton Head is the place to get away.
Magnolia Springs State Park
- Known for its crystal clear springs, Magnolia Springs State Park is located 45 minutes north of Statesboro. Here you can go camping overnight or spend the day fishing, biking, hiking, and enjoying the great outdoors.
- Located 45 minutes from Georgia Southern in Pooler, GA, the Tanger Outlets are you one stop shopping spot!
- Home of the Master’s Golf tournament, Augusta is a little over an hour and a half from Statesboro and is considered another nearby city with shopping and major amenities.
Learn More about getting to and from Statesboro.
Cost of Living
- Compared to the average cost of living across the nation, Statesboro is generally less expensive in regards to housing, healthcare, and transportation. Cost of Living Calculator
- Georgia’s income tax rates are in the bottom half of all states, helping your dollar go further.
Last updated: 12/21/2023